Sunday, July 31, 2011

Banana Colada

Substituting banana for the pineapple in a light pina colada recipe yields superb results!

You may have heard Chicago, along with the rest of the Midwest, has had some very hot days this summer. It was on a hot day such as this that I developed a craving for pina coladas.

My sweet husband, Matt, offered to make one if I could give him a list of ingredients. As I researched recipes, to my horror I discovered that the average pina colada contains 600 to 700 calories! Oh my. I didn't want a pina colada that badly.

However, I felt certain that some enterprising food editor surely must have come up with a lighter pina colada by now. I was delighted to find just such a recipe in my August 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living.


"Puree 2 cups pineapple chunks, 3/4 cup pure coconut water, 1/2 cup ice cubes, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice in a blender. Stir in 1/2 cup rum. Garnish glasses with toasted coconut. Serves 4." (MSL, August 2011, p140)

This recipe sneaks in just 120 calories per serving.

I was enjoying this lighter version of the drink enough to run out of pineapple eventually. The next time I had my craving, rather than run to the store, I tried substituting one banana per serving.

And I was in Banana Colada heaven.

In my opinion, banana subs effortlessly for pineapple in this recipe, and without all the stringy pineapple fibers that would cling to the glass and my lips as I was sipping. The texture is smooth and yummy.

Enjoy!

I hope this post has inspired some healthy cocktails in your future.

With lots of veggies,
HealthyErika

No comments:

Post a Comment